Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog 3- Sharkwater Response

Last week/this week in class, everyone is watching the film Sharkwater.  It's an interesting documentary about sharks and about the man who set out to save them.  It brings up some interesting thoughts/questions I'd like you to respond to...

1.  To start- What are your general attitudes toward sharks or other predatory animals?  Do you fear them?  Have you ever been to a beach where warnings were posted?  Do sharks cross your mind when you're swimming in the ocean?

2.  Rob Stewart (the biologist and filmmaker) is very committed to saving these sharks at any cost.  The shark hunters are equally committed to fishing for sharks.  Where is the balance?  Who's side do you find yourself on?

3.  We also see extremes on both sides- Rob and the crew of the Greenpeace ship, willing to destroy and sink fishing vessels; and the shark poachers, hunting in open waters without license to do so.  How do you feel when you see these conflicts?  Is either side in the right?  Or in the wrong?    Does either side have the right to participate in these activities?

4.  If you had to choose a cause, near and dear to your heart, that you'd be willing to fight for, what would it be?  It doesn't have to mean that you'd venture into international waters to sink ships, but what cause are you passionate enough about that you'd be willing to step out of your comfort zone to make a difference?

5.  Please read other responses posted before you (or after you- check back), and I'd strongly encourage you to respond to classmates- particularly those who have differing opinions.  I'd love to read a good debate!!

*** Just saw this link on cnn.com- the Sea Shepard (from the movie) is at it again with Japanese Whaling ships.  Might enjoy reading the comments!!  http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/02/16/japan.whale.hunt/index.html?hpt=T2

28 comments:

  1. I don't fear them but I don't have a particular interest in them either. I have been swimming on beaches where warning were posted and have gone diving where sharks normally were but I only saw barracudas. When I'm swimming in the ocean I don't generally think about sharks. I side with Rob Stewart I think what he's doing is great and if they get a few more people the can stop the killing of sharks. However right now I think it's unbalanced and the shark catchers are winning. Also the line catches they use catch birds as well such as the albatross who is now almost extinct. I feel like the Greenpiece ship tries everything before resorting to violence and I think everything they do is right. I would try to keep as many of the islands in the Pacific untouched and uninhibited by humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went to Aruba, we went to a beach called baby beach and one side had sharks and the other didn't I was scared, but then again I was afraid of the little fish when we went snorkeling. I don't think they should be able to just cut off there fins and throw them back in. They shouldn't be able to capture a lot. I believe that you should have a license to hunt sharks, its wrong they need to live to. Hunting Dolphins no one should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fear Sharks only because of all the attacks you hear about them.Watching the film made me realize that there not actually as dangerous as people think. I've never swam where shark signs are posted.Sharks don't usually cross my mind when I'm swimming because I know there not close to the coast in Maine. I think its really unbalanced because there are so many people hunting for shark fins, and very little trying to help the sharks. I find myself on Rob Stewarts side because they have no reason to kill these sharks and put them back into the ocean to suffer. There should be more security out on sea so they shouldn't have to call the Greenpiece. They have the right to participate in helping prevent people from breaking the law. I would probably help any animals that are suffering form animal cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.  Any predatory animal scares me! But this is technically their land and they were here first so to kill them off to the point of extinction is just plan wrong! 

    2. Rob Stewart is very brave for what he does. I think personally it is wrong to kill any animal for just one thing off of its body or for fun. If you are going to eat the fin of a shark then feed the rest of it body to other people. So many people are starving in this world, and so many animals are killed it just doesn't add up to me. I won’t go as far to say that you shouldn't kill an animal at all because they themselves kill for food. But to kill one and waste it is just not right. No one needs to eat the fin of a shark. I really enjoyed what that women said in the video when she compared the cutting of a sharks fin to someone cutting off her ear because they think its yummy. In the end there is no balance. I think there are a lot more sharks being killed than saved. Unfortunately they can’t stop everyone.

    5. My mother doesn't believe in being violent to get a point across. My father does. All my life whenever someone gave me a problem my fathers way of telling me to deal with it was “hit them hard enough and they won’t mess with you anymore..” Wanting to please both I just decided that I would not fight anybody unless it was absolutely essential. In this case I don't mind what the crew of the Greenpeace ship were doing. There are people out there killing sharks illegally and only for their fins! You can't even justify that! As we watch the video the Greenpeace ship gives them warnings to stop what they are doing and the killers won’t! To me that was their peaceful way to handle it. As sad as it may be we humans are a violent race and sometimes only violence can can get a point across to us. “Hit them hard enough and they won’t mess with you anymore. If they still bother you that means you didn’t hit them hard enough.” Sounds extreme but sometimes you need extreme to get results.

    4. Sexual Assault

    ReplyDelete
  6. My attitudes towards sharks are that since I have never encountered one, I don't think that I would judge too much. Although from reports on the news and what not I don't think I would want encounter one anyway. I can't fear them if I have never come face to face with it. I don't really go to the beach that often and from the ones that I have been to there haven't been any warning signs about sharks. When I swimming at the beach it definitely crosses my mind but I just think it's silly of me to think that because the waters I am in are much to shallow for them. When watching the movie I found myself feeling terrible for the sharks and very cruel of the shark hunters to just kill the whole shark just for there fin, it was ridiculous to me. I definitely found myself siding with shark savers. When I first saw how ruthless they were when it came to dealing with the shark hunters I was shocked, but then I thought, well someone has to do it don't they. They can't just keep letting them kill sharks for something like fins. I don't think that either side is right, but no one is going to get anywhere being civil, those shark hunters want money and people asking them to stop isn't going to help. I think that the shark hunters are right but maybe find a more civil/effective way to save sharks. If I were to devote my life to help a cause I would probably do something to help endangered animals and saving them, only if they are vital for our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not exactly afraid of sharks (I wouldn't scream and run the moment I see one but I won't be feeding them with just my bare hands any time soon). Yet after watching shows like jaws I swear never to get in the ocean again I always seem to forget it once I get to the beach.
    It is a difficult task to see if hunting a species is bad or good. Since most hunting is done to aid in the population control of animals (like deer so that they don't start to over populate areas) or kill the animal then use all of the animal's carcass (again like deers and their horns, head, hooves, and pelts). Yet the shark hunters are doing this aren't doing it for population control (seeing as many sharks are endangered) and they usually just kill for the sake of killing it or some sort of trophy (or fins). Therefore it would mark their work as inhumane and I would side with the activist.
    I think that the activist were correct in what they did for the poachers were breaking the law. Also they did do many things to try and prevent using force. Such as asking then to come quietly as well as talking to the government.
    A cause that I think I would take a stand against would be something like protection against endangered animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly didn’t know a lot about sharks before watching the movie. I wasn’t necessarily afraid of them, but I recognized that they could be dangerous. I knew that they were wild animals, and had an important role in the ecosystem whether they are scary of not. I’ve seen a lot of people who are terrified of sharks in my life. For instance, when I was ten I went to Hawaii, and at one beach there had been a reported shark attack. Not going to lie, that made me a little nervous. But my dad sat me down and told me that shark attacks are very uncommon, and there is a much greater chance that I could die from a car crash, or something I do routinely. From then on, I thought to myself when I go swimming, yes I could get attacked by a shark, but I could also die a million other ways.

    Rob Stewart is a very respectable man, and I am 100% on his side. I want to be in some area of biology when I grow up, and I understand the interdependence between sharks and nature. Sharks have a biological role, as well as many other species. The roles these animals have benefit humans. So why are we killing them? Aside from their importance, sharks are beautiful and magnificent animals. They don’t deserve to be treated cruelly or like they are insignificant. I get so angered by poachers and the black market. Those people are incorrigible halfwits who have no perspective of what they are doing to the world. It all comes down money, and unfortunately many of the people are too narrow-minded to step back and think. I understand why poorer countries may want to benefit economically from the black market, but I do not agree with it. You have to look at the big picture—it’s not worth driving a great species to extinction to make money. It’s simply not worth it.

    Both sides perform questionable actions to achieve what they want. Rob Stewart and other activists want to go as far sinking the poacher’s ships. Some may criticize this, however I do not. Poachers act so cruelly and dishonorably, that they deserve it. Considering how many sharks poachers have murdered, and how many they plan to continue killing, force may be necessary. I only think of it as retribution for their actions.

    I actually really connected with “Sharkwater” and would be fully willing to devote myself to a project like the one Rob Stewart is involved in. A lot of causes that are science or animal related grab my interest. One in particular is the Chinese Fur Industry. Many American get their clothes and other products from China because of its low prices. China also sells fur to the United States. PETA discovered the conditions in which the animals are under. Domesticated dogs are living in small cages outside through all weather conditions. When it’s time to attain the fur, the dog is “yanked from its cage, thrown to the ground, and bludgeoned.” (PETA) It’s not uncommon for the animal to still be alive and struggling as the workers hang them up to be skinned. The workers start from the legs skinning, and working up to the head. If the animal is moving too much, a worker would stomp on its head, perhaps temporarily knock it unconscious. When the fur is pulled off the dog’s body, the bloody and hairless animals is thrown in a huge pile, where it can still exert staggering breaths for as long as ten minutes. Atrocities like this infuriate me and make me want to fight against this injustice. I would be more than willing to go as far as Rob Stewart did, when he tried to sink the ships.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) My general attitude towards sharks have been greatly influenced by the Media. Mainly the movie Jaws. I know that Sharks have as much as a right to live as we do, and that they are extremely important to the global environment. However there is an instinct within me, and emotional response of fear whenever I see a shark or think of the movie jaws.

    2) I find my self very strongly leaning to the side of the Rob Stewart. I find that persevering the global environment and ecology to be more important than any profit.

    3) Continuing on the previous statement. I believe that poaching, violating both national and international laws warrant the reckless behavior of sinking ships. However on the opposite side many of the lower tier goons in the shark fin industry do not appreciate the line of work. The money is dirty and the work is not honorable or respectful. They are forced because of the poverty in their cities and villas to go out and seek work, illegal or not, to feed their families.

    4) If I had to fight for any cause it would probably be hunger. Hunger is one of the most if not the most basic instinct that is universal amongst all species. Food is the driving force for the world economy. If world hunger was eliminated then so would majority of illegal operations, crime, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not fear sharks because I learned long ago that they were almost harmless. I mean seriously just because something is big, has thousands of teeth, and moves faster they you normally do doesn't mean it should be feared.

    I think that the guy who made the documentary was completely in the right in what he was doing until he joined the cause a hell of a lot of problems, stop poaching by sinking ships patrol run by that Rob guy. Also he is not part of green peace he was actually kicked out of that organization because of his violent tactics. If you want to learn more about those fools Rob "commands" watch whale wars. It is only fun to watch because of how stupid they are.

    If I were to fight for a cause it would probably freedom. So many people look at things like the war in Iraq and say we are wasting our time helping them. Yet our country was founded by the same principles we are trying to help them set up over there. If we just leave the to be torture by the Taliban and don't help them set up a steady government that can do what is right what kind of people would we be? Yes it may cost money to do those things but have we grown so arrogant that we can't deal with a little hardship, that we cause ourself mostly and had nothing to do with Iraq for the most part, in order to help some one else?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that education is key. You cannot FULLY understand something until your know more about it, making it extremely hard for me to be as afraid as others by these animals. I've been to Florida where on pretty much every beach is a 'CAUTION: SHARKS' sign. And I've been to the aquarium where you can walk among them and feel the tension as onlookers gasp and shriek as a 'menacing' shark swims past, attacking the morsel of fish dropped in the tank by a worker. But honestly, I don't feel that. It's different for me. I feel bad for them, wanting to know how it feels to not know how much danger your in. Not knowing that people want you dead or fear you so much that they'll kill you just for the knowledge that there is one less of you. Mainly, I feel sorry for the fact that it's not fair.

    Throughout my childhood sharks have been taught to me as predators, eating anything they can get their jaws on. This fact got me more interested and I wanted to know more about these phenomenal creatures. The media pins all of the negative experiences involving sharks and blow it to the point where the media is instilling fear into society. The reason that sharks are feared isn't because they are natural predators but because the public is uneducated. And not knowing is one of human being's biggest fears.

    Rob is on the right track with how to go about changing the public (and media's) mind on sharks. Creating a movie on them and letting society see what the real problem is, considering the technology frenzy we are a part of. And, although his movement is only the beginning, there is more to be said, taught, and learned about sharks. Until then, I think that we need to take this situation and change it slowly. One person at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. - I kinda fear sharks just because of all the attacks you hear about them, which I found out in the movie that there actually isn't many deaths caused by sharks, but since i've never seen one before, I don't really think there that bad. I haven't seen any post on the beaches that i've been on either. They usually don't cross my mind, but i don't like swimming in oceans anyway. - I would have to go with Rob Stewart, because when people complain about how dangerous sharks, then why would you go swimming when theres a post about the sharks. Theres probably other beaches you could go on. - I think Rob is doing the right thing, trying to get rid of all the ships. It's not right for sharks to get killed when there other animals that could harm us too. If I got the chance to help, I would probably try to stop cutting fur off animals and using them for clothing. I don't get why people "need" to have fur on their coats. It doesn't make them special or anything. They could always just have fake fur.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not afraid of sharks. Well, I am not afraid of the thought of them. I think If I was face to face with one I may be scared, but im not worried about them or thinking about them when im swimming or anything like that.

    The balace between protecting and hunting the sharks is that they're should be some area's that it's illegal to hunt them, but they're also should be some legal areas too. I find myself siding with Rob and his efforts.

    I think that the green peace ships are doing the right thing. They are enforcing rules that authorities are doing nothing to help. If the fishing vessel has a license then yes, they have their rights, but the GreenPeace group is enforcing the law on those who are breaking it.

    If I could choose a cause to support, it would be to end horse slaughter. I'd love to open a sanctuary to house unwanted horses, and give them a chance to rehabilitate and be adopted to families who will love them and care for them. I would also like to support the protection of the last wild horses, and stop the annual round ups.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1.) I love sharks and other predatory animals. I think that it's beautiful that they show so much power and how they have evolved and perfected how they hunt. I am not afraid of them, but I respect them and I am not about to go swimming at a beach where there are tons of sharks. When I was in Hawaii, I didn't go to any beaches that were posted for sharks, I don't think, but we drove by a lot of them with signs saying to watch out for sharks. I don't usually worry about sharks, but when I was in Belize, we stayed on a little island for three days and one day, I was swimming around in the shallow water and I saw what I think was a spotted eagle ray coming right at me. I thought it was going to swim right into me, but it saw me and swam away. That made me think about if there were sharks around there or not.

    2.) I understand that the hunters are probably desperate for money to support themselves and their families. Otherwise, they wouldn't be risking their lives and breaking the law to fish for sharks. I don't think that it is right for them to kill so many sharks, though. I don't know where the balance is. The hunters can't be allowed to kill so many sharks, but, in a way, they are forced to. Maybe they would think twice about killing sharks

    3.) I think that the crew of the Greenpeace ship are doing the right thing, if in a radical way. It really upsets me how the poachers don't stop when the crew tells them to; it seems so cruel how they cut off the heads of the sharks in full view of the Greenpeace ship and the camera. It's easy to see that they don't value the lives of the sharks in any way. To them, the sharks are not a living thing, they are monsters that are better off dead with their fins cut off used for soup and the rest of the body bleeding at the bottom of the ocean.

    4.) By far, tigers are my favorite animal and I know that they are endangered. A few years ago, I was watching a show and it said that the Bengal tiger would go extinct in 20 years. I don't know how old the show was or how accurate that prediction was, but at the time that really stuck with me. If that prediction came to pass, the tiger would die out in my lifetime and I would have done nothing about it. Recently, I saw a commercial for National Geographic's Big Cat Initiative called Cause an Uproar. The commercial showed various celebrities wearing T-shirts with the name of a big cat on the back. I want to donate and get a T-shirt that says “tiger” on the back. I am undecided about what exactly I want to do with myself, but if the chance arises, I would love to devote myself to a cause like Rob Stewart. It doesn't even have to be for tigers. I love animals and I always have.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am deathly afraid of sharks. I will not swim off a boat only close to a beach. I am always worried of whats beneath me. It's crazy but sometimes swimming in pools I think about them and get scared that something is going to eat me.

    I was not there the day the movie was shown but all animals need to be saved from being hunted, a lot that is. There is a huge amount of them so yes they should be allowed to be fished, but just not a lot and they should have a license for it.

    The hunters should NOT be hunting unlicensed, but it shouldn't go to the extreme where their boat is being sunk, just that they get arrested.

    I would do anything to stop horse slaughter, they are innocent creatures, and if wild should stay in the wild. If domesticated, everything should be done to find a home for them. Also I give so much respect for animal cruelty investigators for risking their lives everyday to save all animals from people who disgustingly neglect their animals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Personally, I am not the slightest bit frightened by sharks. In fact, they fascinate me; all animals on top levels of the food chain fascinate me. I have never been to a beach where warning signs were posted so they tend not to cross my mind while swimming. However, I completely understand where peoples' fears are coming from about sharks. Movies, books, and other forms of social media portray several misconceptions about the animal. If this is all they know, then it serves as their education on sharks. Although false, it is still what they were taught, and without proper knowledge, it is all they will ever know.

    I understand where the shark hunters are coming from. Many are from poverty-stricken areas which can prompt people into desperate measures to make a living. However, they need to follow regulations. There is no problem with hunting sharks at a rate where the species is able to replenish itself, but this is not the case. Also, I do not find it very humane to cut off only the fins of the sharks and then kick them off back into the waters, often still alive and suffering. If people are going to hunt sharks, they should use every part. I find myself entirely on Rob's side, seeing as the shark hunters are uneducated rule breakers, not knowing the consequences that are in store that are linked with a world without sharks.

    The poachers are in the wrong, entirely, while the Greenpeace crew is in the right. The poachers are breaking the law, while simultaneously harming the environment, what everyone needs to survive. Although the Greenpeace crew is willing to sink the fishing vessel, not everyone needs the poachers to survive, life will continue. I believe in a communist approach to situations like these, and the Greenpeace crew members will only sink a fishing vessel after a multitudinous number of warnings. If the poachers choose not to listen, there should be consequences-severe consequences.

    Although the shark adventure sounds like the trip of a lifetime, I would choose to help undeveloped countries with medical facilities. Just because we were born in a country where health insurance and surgeons are plentiful, doesn't mean other people around the world shouldn't have access to any of the medical equipment and increased life spans.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe sharks are very harmful however it is their way of nature to hunt food and kill it, unfortunately humans are sometimes their prey but it's not like their out in the ocean looking for humans to eat. Us humans are the same way, we protect ourselves and will do anything to stay alive even if that means to harm another human but they aren't out trying to kill us for just using our instinctive nature. I believe he is doing a good thing and is very dedicated to it. The hunters are doing something illegal and should suffer consequences, they are doing nothing but probably destroying the ecosystems of the oceans by disrupting the food chain.

    If I had to chose something to fight for that I believe in it would be to get political and get everybody health care. It would be hard for me because I am not even close to a political person and am pretty quiet so I would have to be loud and work hard to do this. I have been fortunate enough to have health care all of my life but I hate seeing the ones who don't. Why should these people suffer through illnesses and injuries while others can easily go to the doctor and have it taken care of in a matter of minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have honestly never been scared or frightened by sharks. I have recently had the opportunity to interact and learn more about sharks making me view them as fascinating and good-natured animals more than anything else. I have never been to a beach with warning signs of sharks. So therefore I have never felt personally in danger. Before my more recently understanding of these animals, I was not afraid, but I certainly would not be eager to be in the water anywhere near a shark. I think that this stems from medias portrayal of sharks. Movies books, even newspapers, focus on the few shark attacks there are, and depict the shark as an awful evil animal. I recently re-read "Rainbow Fish to the Rescue" a sequel to the original "Rainbow Fish" the children's book. Even at an early age, sharks are portrayed in children's books as the bad guy who is trying to hurt all the nice fish.

    Though I understand the reasoning behind shark hunters illegal poaching I do not feel that they are justified. The shark fin market is a huge international industry and there is much money to be made. I thing that Rob Stewart and the Greenpeace crew may be extreme but they are fighting for what is right and just. There are laws and regulations that should be followed, yet especially when those laws are in weaker undeveloped nations, there is almost no way for the governments to enforce them even if they wanted to. Some may see what the Sea Shepherds are doing as simply extreme and even insane. I think that their passion and drive to help these animals is to be respected. I do not sympathize with the sunken poachers but I don't think that is is really the best way to effectively change the industry. Rob Stewart is taking this problem into his own hands and is probably the savior of thousands of sharks. Unfortunately he is only one man with one crew ship. While he is stopping one poaching boat, millions of others world wide are doing the very same thing. It is really important for Rob Stewart to fight to enforce the already in place laws and regulations, rather than only fighting the individual poachers.

    I respect and support those who fight for the protection of animals, marine or terrestrial, but personally I would see myself devoting my life to helping the well being and survival of humans world wide. I can see myself traveling to underdeveloped nations in a sort of program similar to Doctors without Borders. People are dying all over the world everyday from illness like tuberculosis and malaria both of which are illness that have long since disappeared from more developed nations, and that we have to ability to cure and prevent, but are not. I would love to help to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honestly I don't like swimming in oceans period because I'm kind of afraid of fish, I just like the idea of them swimming around me even though I know they are more scared of me. I have never swam in shark infested waters where there are caution signs, and if I have it must of been when I was really young. Sharks are one of those animals that are put out in the media that make you not like them, or to fear them. Jaws the movie, the newspapers about shark attacks, and other things. In the movie they look very gentle and it seemed that the only thing they wanted was their own food, and not us. I seriously find myself on Robs side ( he did give me a t-shirt). The only thing I don't like is that he is ok with destroying other ships and doing so illegal things... but the fisherman should also have a permit and they should understand what they are doing to he environment, most people could care less about it but when one ecosystem is drastically changed that means that others with have to change as well and I'm pretty sure that we can't give up oxygen, which sharks have a major part in. Neither side really has the right to be doing this, the sharks don't have a right to be eating us right??
    I dont like how people kill animals for their skins, or tusks, or antlers. Thats why some animals are going endangered and extint. Man kind is doing a lot of damage to the earth and one day it will kick us in the butt. We aren't putting back what we take away from the earth and its not good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a little scared of the fact of sharks. It’s because I love surfing and swimming and I have heard of the shark attacks on surfers and ocean swimmers. So, I am always a little nervous and have an eye out wherever I am.

    The balance is going toward the shark hunters, because they are killing way more sharks a day than Rob Stewart is saving. I find myself on the save the sharks side. Even though I am slightly scared of them, they do not deserve to be hunted, and I would rather help them out the way Rob Stewart is.

    It is crazy how Rob and the crew will sink the other ships, but it is a cause that they are fighting for. And if the shark vessels are going to fish, they should at least get licenses. They would get in much less trouble.

    If there was something that I would fight for, it would be to not deplete the earth the way we do. Every resource gets so used up and eventually they will be gone. We need to work on using less resources.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. I have always thought predatory animals such as the shark are wicked cool. When I was younger i would try to jump in the tiger pit at the zoo to get a better look. Out west there where warnings for great whites my brother and I went out surfing anyways. When a seal swam under us and touched our feet it barley took a second for him to get back on the beach while i stayed out.

    2. Im not sure where the balance is to this argument I think that sharks are extremely cool and I would be very upset to see them go extinct. But on the other hand these hunters need them to provide for their families. I think that the demand for sharks is very stupid and wasteful especially if when added to the soup it doesn't do anything but add texture

    3. I the member of sea shepherds where all in the right tot do what they did if the government is doing nothing then why not. I would defiantly do something like that if not that maybe use a little more force. The shark poachers hunting in open waters without licenses is a direct violation of the law and they should get in trouble for that.

    4. Something I would fight for would be stopping the hunting of any and all endangered species. Im a hunter but i hunt deer and other animals who are extremely over populated anyways. We are killing so many species every day and we dont even know it. The species that has the cure to cancer could have just gone extinct and we'd never know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never really been afraid of sharks or other predatory animals because I've never really had to worry about them. I've never disliked sharks even though I have heard a lot of bad stories about them, because I'd never actually learned much about them. This video helped give me a bit of a better opinion on them. I'm on Rob Stewart's side. I don't agree with the way the fisherman are killing the sharks, or with the reasons behind it. Since I don't agree with the hunters at all, it doesn't bother me that the crew of the Greenpeace ship were willing to sink the hunters' ship, especially since they had no right to be hunting. If I were to fight for a cause, I would fight for the protection of animals because it's something it's something I would be really willing to work for.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The thought of sharks doesn't scare me but I know that if I was in the ocean and a shark swam up to me I would probably be scared. When I was younger I was afraid of swimming at the beach because of sharks but then got told there arn't dangerious sharks around here. I don't think it was right that they were killing the sharks for there fins and dumping them back in the ocean it was very cruel I defently am on Bob Stewards side because of this. If I had to choose I would defently help make a difference for the sharks but the reaity of it is that one person or 100 people couldn't make a difference its up to the government or president of wherever to make a difference but in this case they didn't want to change anything because they were making a lot of money off of the shark fins.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I personally do fear sharks, they are a very dangerous creature. They kill many people each year, but I wouldn’t go out and try to kill them all just because they are dangerous. Humans are dangerous, does that mean we are all gonna die off too... who knows. I have never been to a beach that had postings to watch for sharks. Sharks do not cross my mind while I swim in the ocean cause if they did, then I would be worrying and not having fun.

    I find myself on Rob Stewarts side, because sharks have been around for MANY years, and I don’t think we will ever lose all the sharks in the ocean. However, if the fishermen just keep on doing what they are doing now, I do think sharks will reach the point of extinction.

    When I see these conflicts, I think to myself, why are they risking their own lives and fishing carriers, to do stupid things. I don’t believe either side of these conflicts are right. I think they are both in the wrong, because they will both get in trouble. I don’t think either side has the right to do what they do, but I believe that the Greenpeace ship is doing what they think is right, just to save the sharks, and I can’t blame them.

    I would be willing to fight for wolves or eagles if they were being hunted/ extinct. Wolves and Eagles are native animals, and I am native american, my whole family is, and those are my favorite animals out of all, so if they began to be illegally hunted, I would definitely do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the water. I am a beach boy and I plan to stay that way. The way I look at it is if you don't bother them they wont bother you. Yeah they kind of scare me when i'm in the water. I surf and i look just like a seal. Sharks arn't attacked unless threatened usually. like the guy said, there are more people that die in a year from vending machines then sharks. sharks are just another fish and if i could dive like the guy in shark water i would try to help him too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I actually love sharks they are my favorite animal just because of how fascinating they are. I don’t fear them or don’t think about them when i’m swimming.

    I would find myself fighting to save the sharks i don’t want my favorite animal to die

    I think they have the right to sink the ships if they aren’t following the law set into protecting these sharks.

    I would be willing to go on the ship and sink the ships because thats how strong i feel about it

    ReplyDelete
  27. I fear sharks they are deadly animals but i never have to worry about it up here so i do not of it when i go to the beach. I don't believe in fishing for sharks i don't find it right killing them but if i was offered to ty shark i would but i still do not find it right killing them. I feel like sometimes that greenpeace takes it a little bit to the extreme when crashing straight into another boat, when they do that they put them selfs and others in danger.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Obviously if I were ever in the ocean, and saw a shark in the water, I would be scared. However, I am not always afraid that I am going to be eaten by a shark when I go into the ocean... Even in Florida. I don't believe that fishing for sharks to kill them, simply out of fear, is right. They will end up being another fascinating creature driven to extinction out of man kinds own ignorance. I also don't think that trying to defeat the violence against sharks with more violence is going to help with anything. As awful as it is to have them killed for no real reason, change will never come from crashing your boat into a shark fishing boat. This will only make the shark fisherman angry, and result in more problems.

    ReplyDelete