Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blog 15- Final Reflection

This week will be the final blog for the class, and because of that, I want to gather a little information from you about this course as well as a personal reflection.  So here are the questions I would like you to address for this week....

First, the class, in general....
  1.  Why did you sign up for this course?  (and really, you can be honest)
  2. What were you expecting to learn about in this course?  Was it what you expected?
  3. What did you like the most about this class?
  4. What did you like the least about this class?
  5. What recommendations would you make to improve this class?
Second, your personal reflection....
  1. How did you do 4th quarter compared to 3rd?
  2. Did you meet the goal(s) you set for yourself for 4th quarter?
  3. Was there anything you could have/should have done differently to obtain the grade you wanted?
  4. What part of this class was the easiest for you?
  5. What did you find to be the hardest part for you?
  6. If you could go back and do this class over again, what would you do differently for yourself?
  7. Any final thoughts?
This is due by Tuesday, May 7th for seniors, and Friday May 10th for underclassmen.  Thank you!

18 comments:

  1. 1) I signed up for this course because it was like the only remaining science course that I had not yet taken. Also I wanted a class away from class–I signed up for it because I knew I would have tons of fun learning the material, and I did.
    2) I was expecting to learn about the different animal groups and that's just what we learned. I liked how your focus was on the Maine species.
    3)My favorite part about the class was the tests. I feel like they reflected exactly what you taught us.
    4)My least favorite part about the class was not being able to go outside at all.
    5)A recommendation that I would make is to try to schedule a trip somewhere (perhaps just the library pond). But I know this is always weather-permitting as well as time.

    1. I did about the same from 3rd to 4th quarter.
    2. My goal was to get outside and fully participate in the outdoor blogs, and I think I accomplished this with the bird blog. I went out with my camera and just snapped pictures of every bird I saw.
    3. I pretty much obtained my desired grade. I probably could have and should have glued together the bones from the owl pellet, though.
    4. The easiest part of the class for me was the tests. Especially the way you set them up with the review sheet.
    5. I had a lot going on fourth quarter with visiting places and whatnot, so I was out more than I would have liked. I think the hardest part for me was making everything up.
    6. If I could go back and redo the class, I would probably do everything the same. I'm satisfied with the way I came out of the class.
    7. This was definitely my fun class, and I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks for an awesome class, Mrs. Davis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I did not sign up for this class i was giving it because i needed another class so i would have enough credits to graduate but i am glad i took this class because it was very fun and interesting.
    2. I was expecting to learn about just birds to tell you the truth and no it was not what i expected.
    3. I guess i would say i liked learning about the reptiles the best and i liked doing slide shows for them.
    4. What i least liked about the class was learning about birds i am just not a big bird fan (haha big bird from seseme street).
    5. I guess what i would reccomend is that there be more showing of animals as in like maybe people bring in there own pets or have more animals from chewokie come or from somewhere else.

    2nd part
    1. I did a little bit worse 4th quarter that 3rd
    2. I did not meet my goals i set for myself sadly.
    3. Well im the type of person who is happy as long as i pass i dont really care what i pass with as long as i pass
    4. The easiest part of this class was i guess the slide shows we had to make.
    5. the hardest part of the class i would say was the labs i always struggle with doing labs.
    6. I guess if i could do this class over i would most likely do my work on time instead of late.
    7. I guess that i would say is that i wish i would have taken this class last semester because this was a really fun class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I signed up for this course because I wanted to learn about animals because I love animals, and yes, it was what I expected- I expected to learn about the different types of animals, I liked seeing the reptiles come in from chewonkie, and I wished we had time to see more. The easiest part of this class for me was the labs. The hardest part was remembering to do the blogs. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have made sure to always be on time and do all the work, because overall I really enjoyed this class. And not forget the blogs because they affected my grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Class reflection:
    1. I signed up for this course because because I like learning about animals so I knew it would interest me.
    2. Yeah, for the most part it was a lot like i expected it to be.
    3. I liked the Chewonki presentation I saw, and I liked doing the labs.
    4. There wasn't anything I really hated doing in this class.
    5. Maybe to spend more class time outside if it's possible.

    Personal reflection:
    1. I did well in both the 3rd and 4th quarter, but I did a little better this quarter because I've done better on my tests.
    2. Yes, my goal was to improve my test grades.
    3. No, I think I did fine for the most part.
    4. The easiest part for me was doing the slideshows and labs, because I didn't mind doing them.
    5. The hardest part of this class for me was probably trying to memorize all of the bird and frog calls, as well as trying to identify them by the pictures.
    6. I would have studied harder at the beginning of the course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I signed up for this class because i love animals and wanted to learn more which I will continue to do as you gave me my basis!
    I was expecting to learn exactly what we did with the 5 groups and learning things about each.
    I liked how it was fun to get into and very interesting.
    I didn't not like anything it just went by way to fast didn't feel like we couldn't do much.
    I would say to improve the course to add more hands on things.
    I did the same 4th quarter compared to 3rd.
    Yes I did meet the goal(s) I set for myself for 4th quarter.
    There wasn't anything I really should have done differently to obtain the grade I wanted except do the blogs on time! I always forgot... like this one almost.
    The work was the easiest because it was interesting.
    The hardest part would have been the tests if I hadn't studied.
    If I could go back and do this class over again I would have just tried to remember the blogs! and still study.
    Awesome class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I signed up because I wanted to fill the space in my schedule and I enjoy most science classes.
    2. More about animals then I already knew.
    3. The videos.
    4. Homework.
    5. I don't really know.

    1. I did better.
    2. I didn't really set many goals.
    3. Homework.
    4. Memorizing everything.
    5. Homework.
    6. More homework.
    7. See you next year maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I signed up for this course because I wanted to take as many science courses as I can. Also I chose this course because I do like to learn about animals and Vertebrate Zoology seemed like a good way to learn about them.
    2. I expected to learn about the naming of birds and lots of other stuff about birds. We did in fact learn about the naming of birds and lots of other things about them, such as their feather structure.
    3. What I liked most about this class was learning so much about the animals.
    4. Yet the thing that I didn't enjoy about the class was memorizing all the calls and pictures of the birds, frogs, and lizards.
    5. My recommendations to improve the class would be to have an extra day for learning the sounds of animals and some more labs.
    1. I think that I did better, if not the same, as last quarter.
    2. I did meet my goal of last semester for not sending in my blogs at the last day.
    3. There wasn't much that I could of done to obtain the grade that I wanted, since I did get the grade that I wanted.
    4. The easiest part of the class was the labs.
    5. The hardest part of the class was memorizing the animal sounds.
    6. If I could of taken this class again I probable wouldn't change a thing since I am happy with how things turned out.
    7. I loved this class and it is on my list of top classes. Also I would/have recommend this class to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I signed up for this course because I love animals. I thought that it would be a fun class to take.

    I was expecting to earn about vertebrates and how they live in their environments and the adaptations that they have. The class was pretty much what I expected it to be.

    I liked the birds section the most. I also liked all of the movies we watched.

    The fish section was a little boring, but there wasn't any part of the class that I didn't like.

    The reptile section could have been longer and we could have spent more time on mammals.

    I think that the 4th quarter was about the same as the 3rd. I might have been slacking more in the 4th because it is near the end of the year.

    I didn't really make any goals for the 4th quarter besides getting straight As. I guess that I met my goals.

    No, because I got the grade that I wanted.

    The labs and the homework were usually pretty easy for me.

    The tests were a lot more challenging. Especially the ones where we had to identify the calls.

    If were to go back and take the class over again, I would probably not do anything differently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I signed up for this class because i love animals and wanted to learn more about them.
    2. What we learned is what I was expecting.
    3. I liked how organized everything was, you knew what we were going to be learning, and when we were going to have a lab.
    4. I don't think there was anything I didn't like. But, one thing that was kinda hard to do, is remembering the types of animals and calls. Some of them were easier then others, but the birds were the worst.
    5. Having more labs, and being able to get outside to look at some animals.
    1. I did about the same in both.
    2. My goal was to participate in the blogs, and make sure I participate in the outdoor blogs too.
    3. I could of study the calls, and pictures more for the tests.
    4. The easiest parts for me, was the slideshows, and the labs.
    5. The hardest part was to memorize all of the bird and frog calls, as well as trying to identify them by the pictures, and some parts on the test.
    6. If I could take the class over again, I would study more and hopefully do better on the tests.
    7. This was one of my favorite classes, and I recommend other people to take it.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I signed up for this course because I love animals and I want to study animal sciences in college, I figured this would be a good place to be.
    2. I was expecting to learn about animals and they're behavior and life. I learned everything I expected and more.
    3. I liked the slide shows and the notes. I got a lot of information from them and they really helped my review.
    4. I cannot think of something I disliked about this class
    5. I would recommend more hands on opportunities with real animals.

    1. I did one point worse then last quarter, but still have over 100%
    2. Yes I did.
    3. nope.
    4. I think tests were easiest for me. I had all the materials, and I actually learned all the information, which made it easy to remember.
    5. I think the hardest was the labs, some where easier than others.
    6. I think I did pretty well in this class, so I would not do differently.
    7. Thank you for a great class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Part 1
     1. I signed up for this class because I really enjoyed biology, and I knew I would love learning about animals.
    2. I expected to learn the basic characteristics of vertebrates. Which is essentially what the class was. I didn’t expect to do as much identification as we did, but I liked it.
    3. My favorite part of the class was probably learning the bird and frog identifications, surprisingly. I love now being able to see or hear those animals and recognize them.
    4. I probably liked the labs the least. In zoology, there’s not a lot of hands on labs, like in chemistry. Instead, it’s more observing.
    5. I think it would be really cool to have a class pet. I know we had the frogs, but it would be cool if we could watch an animal grow up over the semester.
    Part 2
    1. I think I did a little bit better in the 4th quarter. I did well in the 3rd quarter too, but my test scores improved in the 4th. This was probably because I became more comfortable with the style of the tests and knew how to study. Also, it’s easier in the later units because many of the characteristics carry over.
    2. One of the goals I set for the 4th quarter was to be able to recognize animal calls. That has definitely been reached. I am very good with frog calls and decent at bird calls, so I’m happy I can apply this newly attained skill.
    3. Not really, I’m pretty satisfied with my work.
    4. The tests were the easiest, actually. I feel like the work we did in class really prepared us for the tests, and the study guides were helpful. I learned a lot, but didn’t stress much at all.
    The hardest part of this class was probably remembering to do the nature blogs...Sometimes on a Sunday afternoon your mind is on different things!
    5. If I could take this class again, there probably isn’t much I would do differently. It stinks that I missed so much class in May because of AP exams and such, but there’s not too much I could change about that.
    6. I wish there was a more advanced Zoology class, so we could continue learning about vertebrates. I find it really interesting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. Last year as I was signing up for this year's courses I was looking for a class that would be fun and interesting. I was looking for something that I knew I simply enjoy. Vertebrate Zoology was a class that I knew would be interesting and fun, but not necessarily demanding.
    2. I expected to learn about the different types of vertebrates and different characteristics and habits and origins of these vertebrates. I learned exactly what I had expected.
    3. My favorite part of this class was the consistent format. I can always expect 3 sets of notes for each of the types of vertebrates and then a few labs and very consistent and fair tests.
    4. My least favorite part of this class were the movies. Especially towards the beginning of this semester it seemed as though we were watching a lot of movies on a regular basis. Early in the morning I found it very hard to stay focused and to give the movies my full attention.
    5. If I could change one thing about this class it would be to try and cover less material over the course of the semester and rather really dive into specific topics. It felt as though we were constantly rushing to get through another unit. I wish I could have spent more time learning about things that I found really interesting.

    1. I think that my performance in class was very consistent between the 3rd and 4th quarters.
    2. The goal I set for myself in the 3rd quarter was to connect what I was learning in class to the things I see on a daily basis. I do think that I have tried to be more aware of what I am seeing and hearing around me and I have identified frog calls and bird songs since learning them.
    3. I feel as though I have done everything required and I have obtained the grade I had desired.
    4. I found the tests the easiest part of the class for me. I think that the tests would not have been easy without paying attention in class or doing the review sheets, but doing both those things made the tests very fair and easy.
    5. I found these blog posts the most challenging part of this course. I do not think that they were too difficult, but I think that each blog post really required thought and time. Some of the things we have done in this class were simply factual, but in contrast the blog posts required real thinking.
    6. If I could go back and do this class again I think that I would do things the same way. I am very satisfied with my performance in this class.
    7. This class was my class just for fun and it certainly was that. Thank you Mrs. Davis!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I signed up for this class because I dropped art and this class sounded most interesting out of all the options.
    2.When I signed up for this class I expected to learn about animals and their bone structure. I expected to learn all about different kinds of animals, and we did.
    3. I really enjoyed this class, we learned about all kinds of animals, and I really enjoyed the movies we watched.
    4. There wasn't much I didn't like about this class, the only thing was, was that our class was really quiet.
    5. I don't really have any recommendations because I thought that this class was well organized and put together.

    1. I did better first quarter but the second quarter wasn't that bad either.
    2. I didn't really set any goals for myself but I think I did alright in the grade department, although it could've been better.
    3. I could've studied more for some quizzes, I would've rather had an A but I guess a B will have to do.
    4. The easiest part of class for me was the presentations and the homework.
    5. The hardest part for me was studying for test and making the material actually stick.
    6. I probably would've tried harder on tests and studied more or spent more time studying.
    7. I really enjoyed this class, it was fun and one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I signed up because it seemed like a fun class, and because i am interested in science, so it was another class to take.
    I was expecting to learn about animals, but not some of the creepy ones like lampreys... They were nasty and weird.
    All though i thought that lampreys and other cartilaginous fish were quite creepy, they were the most interesting and had the strangest ways of eating.
    The hardest part was learning the bird calls and how they looked. Some of the calls seemed so similar and there were so many different types of sparrows...
    Over all i thought the class was awesome! I wish it was not in the morning though so sometimes i could have been more attentive.

    My fourth quarter grade was only .9 better, so they were pretty close to the same.
    I did meet my goal. I had an A all semester.
    Well I could have gotten a higher A if i had turned some things on on time.
    The mammals and blogs were the easiest. I know a lot about mammals already, and they blogs were pretty simple and fun.
    Birds hands down.
    Pay attention to when blogs are actually due, and study bird calls more.
    The class was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I signed up for this class because I was looking into being a marine biologist. I was expecting to learn all about animals, land and marine. I liked watching the movies the most because I would rather watch movies then learn. I liked least about how we got graded on the study guides, I thought they were always Extra Credit. I would watch more movies and just have people take notes on them. I did a lot better 2nd semester because I passed in things on time, it was just the tests the screwed me over. I did meet the goals I set. I probably could have studied harder for the quizzes and tests. I liked the class overall!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I signed up for this course because I didn’t have any other biology classes I could join.

    I was expecting to learn about animals and yes it was what I expected I learned a lot about there characteristics and such.

    I liked most about the class when we got to go to the library and see animals in person.

    I liked least about the class when we had to do tests but I guess thats every class haha

    I think we should have went on a field trip to a zoo

    The easiest part I think was the labs I thought they were fun too I liked the owl pellet lab the most of all the labs.

    I thought the hardest part was studding for the tests.

    If I could go back I would have studied for the tests in the beginning of the course

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. It sounded like a fun class and I've been wanting to take it since last year!

    2. I was expecting to learn about vertebrate zoology, and that's what happened!

    3. I really enjoyed the films we viewed during the classes

    4. Well I always forgot to do the chapter review homework. So those were my least favorite

    5. This class is pretty set. I'm not sure how you could make it better.

    Second, your personal reflection....

    1. The course got more interesting in the 4th Q. Fish were slightly boring

    2. I did meet the goals I set.

    3. I missed two or three blogs throughout the semester. I wish I had done them on time in the first place, and at least made them up if I missed them.

    4. The labs were the easiest.

    5. Remembering to do the blogs.

    6. Do all of the homework and blogs.

    7. Thank you for a very fun class!

    ReplyDelete