Monday, March 7, 2011

Blog 5- Starting Amphibians

This week we're leaving fish behind and moving on the class of amphibians.  While I'm at freshmen awareness this week, you're going to be watching an episode from Life in Cold Blood called "Land Invaders- Amphibians"

First, I'd like to hear your reaction to the film.  What did you like?  What questions do you have?  What did you learn?

Second, a little brainstorm before we start this unit-- What do you know or think you know about amphibians?  What would you like to know about amphibians?

Not too painful, right?  You have until next Sunday, March 13th to post. 

25 comments:

  1. The film was very interesting; I really enjoyed the part about the lung fish in northeast Australia, and the story behind its evolution which triggered life on land. The organization of the film also made it very likable. The film begins with the lung fish and takes you through several salamanders eventually building up to the "most successful" amphibian, the frog. I learned a lot about reproduction in the different amphibians. Salamanders don't generally have much physical contact, while frogs do. I thought the multiple chambers that the rain frog dug were really neat, as well as the way some of the male frogs care for their young. Whether it be providing a pouch for shelter or digging a canal for a pathway to the open water, some of the male frogs are a big part of their offspring's survival.

    Hundreds of millions of years ago amphibians became the first vertebrates to live on land. They are cold blooded and heavily depend on external sources to regulate or maintain body temperatures. Some of the amphibians breathe through their skin. Amphibians are divided into three groups, and the majority of them have three stages in their life cycle. One thing that I am wondering is about the evolution. How long did it take for the lungfish to adapt into a land creature, and were there any in-between species that may have gone extinct during the process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very interesting! I liked the camera angles and artsy way the animals were shown it was very pretty. I think the things that looked like huge worms where the most fascinating. It’s kinda gross that the babies eat their mother’s dead skin but when they yawn they are extremely cute!  I’m kinda curious does it hurt the mom when they rip her skin of, I wouldn’t think so because its already in the mid process of being shed off but still. Also, there was a daddy frog in the movie that carried the babies in a pouch, Does it hurt the dad when they climb out? Like it would a female giving birth? That right there was the most surprising fact I learned, I had no clue that frogs could do that.

    I know amphibians consist of frogs and lizards. I also know that they are cold blooded and most of them eat insects. All amphibians have some kind of special skin like scales or moist skin like frogs do. I’m excited to learn about all the different ways they live. I’d like to learn more about the kinds of stuff that the movie was talking about like how they feed, or where they lay their eggs. If they leave the young or stay with them? How do they choose the best mate? Stuff like that you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the film. I thought the camera work was spectacular and the lighting was perfect. I also really enjoyed the old british narrator, as his voice was pleasant to listen. The music was also very well done as it often reflected the mood of the scene. As for the content of the film I also really enjoyed that. I found many aspects pretty intriguing and exciting to watch. For every detailed the listed and talked about there was a clip to visualize it.

    Probably the most intriguing and at the same time most bizarre part was about the Caecilian babies that eat the flesh of their mother, but without killing her, instead she regenerates at a very rapid past to provide her babies a meal at least every three days.

    Prior to this film and the start of this unit my knowledge of amphibians was relatively limited. I knew that amphibians are creatures that can live in water and on land for periods of time. That varying degrees adaptions allowed different amphibians to survive more so on land than others. A general idea of Salamanders, Frogs, and other amphibians is all I really had a concept of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think we had LARGE salamanders. Why would they wrap there eggs in a leaf, or have one a day instead of all at once? I figured if the snakes dry out then they would die. How do the Slimy salamanders mate, if they are all female. How do they save food in there fat tails? Why would the Sicilians eat there moms skins, It don't make any sense. How do the hand gestures help each other know whats going on? Why would the frog baby come out from above its leg? I know they are water animals, and are slimy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For this film I really liked how it told us about all the types of frogs and how they keep their young alive. I thought it was really interesting to see all the different kinds of ways the frogs survive and also salamanders as well. One of my questions were how do the back legs on tadpoles form? Or even front legs? What in their body allows them to have that kind of ability to "transform" from what they originally started as? I learned about all kinds of things, but the one that stood out to me really was the African Bull Frog. I thought it was really interesting to watch how they kept their young in a nursery to help them survive, but when the time came, he had to make a passage way for them to be able to swim through to the bigger area of water where they will thrive. I don't know too much about amphibians but I would like to learn about their habitat/environment, along with diet, anatomy, and things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the film was shot very well and was much more interesting then I thought. I learned several things about the way amphibians care for there young and how the have adapted for survival. I knew before seeing the film that amphibians need to have a moist outer body and I was pretty sure that they all have a larvae stage. Also I was fairly certain the most exotic and unique amphibians live in rain forest climates. Another thing I knew previously is that in the pacific islands there are several islands humans have left untouched and during the last visit to one of them just a year ago 23 new frog species were discovered, so obviously there is still some out there we don't know. I would like to learn about rare and exotic amphibians and maybe ongoing, current research projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the film a lot I learned a lot of things I didn't know and It wasn't boring like usually class video's are I liked the part about the frogs and how they have babies and such. I really don't know much or anything really about amphibians my past teachers didn't really teach us much and I never really reachearshed them in my spare time so I enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were some cool parts to the film and some weird parts to the film. Seeing all of the cool different species and how they adapt and work with the environment. Showing some of the mating of the amphibians was a little weird. Some people laughed and some of the species were funny looking and we like a pair of awkward people. One thing I learned was how a male newt puts his sperm in the water, then the female picks it up and brings it with her when she goes to lay her eggs. I thought that amphibians were just like the fish who layed eggs then shot sperm into them. It was really funny looking and to be honest its sperm looked like a white piece of poop.
    I'm not sure what I would like to learn about amphibians, but I do know that their skin is slimy all the time, and that they externally fertilize. I also know that amphibians live in water and out of water half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found the film "Life in Cold Blood" both interesting and surprising in many ways. Frogs, salamanders and even caecilians proved to have many abilities and characteristics I never would have guessed amphibians could have. I learned that there were species of amphibians that live both almost exclusively in water, and also in the desert. What I found most interesting about the film was its format and clear progression of amphibians from water based animals, to animals needing almost no water at all to survive. Amphibians originated from the lobe-finned fish thousands of years ago and slowly these fish developed legs and lungs and moved from the water to the land. Today we can see amphibians in every stage of this progression from the water. "Life in Cold Blood" showed us a variety of different stages in amphibian adaptation. These varied from giant salamanders that still today remain almost entirely in water, salamanders that highly depend on the water but live primarily on land, amphibians that live on land but breed in water and even amphibians that live and breed entirely on land. Painted Burrowing Frog, who lives in the desert, was the amphibian that I found most interesting. These frogs come out in rain, and then burrow themselves in the ground and retain the moisture in their skin. This shows the amphibians unbelievable ability to adapt to their surroundings.
    Amphibians are made up of 3 types of animals; the frogs/toads, the salamanders, and the caecilians. Though they are different animals with different qualities, these amphibians have several uniting factors. They are all cold blooded and must maintain a moist slimy skin at all times. I am curious to learn more about the evolution of amphibians. How long did it take for lungfish to adapt into modern day frogs? and what factors in their environment causes these adaptations?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the film. I found the part about the golden frogs sad. But nice that people have been trying to protect it. Yet I am curious if they are still so few in numbers or have started to bounce back. Also I liked how many different ways the amphibians have adapted to their environment. Such as burrowing in the ground when it is hot or putting their young in the water in leaves. Finally that meter long salamander made my jaw drop.
    The things that I know about amphibians, not including any information I learned from the movie or reading, is very few. I know that all amphibians have a slime coated skin, which can be used in the same fashion as fish’s slime. Many of them start out with gills when they are born and later get lungs. Also While they have teeth many don't chew their food and have to push it back with their eyes (which is why each time a frog eats a fly it blinks, this blinking is the is it pushing its eyes to push its food down). Also I believe that they go not have eyelids. So to keep them moist the amphibian will either lick their eyes with their tongue or with the slime on their body. Finally, due to their similarities with fish the amphibians are considered to be similar to the first life on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. - I thought the video was pretty interesting, and i liked how they got up close with the camera. My favorite part was probably the golden frogs, and i think its great that people are trying to save them before they become extinct. I also liked how the tadpoles that were attached to the leafs knew when they were getting attacked, and they would fall into the water. - I don't know to much about amphibians. Most of the things i found out was from the video we just watched. I know the cycle from a tadpole to a frog but thats almost it, and basic facts about them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked the movie. It was really interesting. Especially the part about the golden frogs. I thought it was really interesting and kind of funny how they communicate by waving their arms around. They're really pretty and brightly colored, too. It's too bad that they are nearly extinct. I also thought that the part about the caecilians was really interesting too. I knew what a caecilian was before the video, but I never really knew anything about them and they behaved. I don't really know a whole lot about amphibians.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked how in depth we got to see about the amphibians. You would never think people could get such good footage and know so much about these animals. It was really interesting and I hope we get to see more videos like it! I don't think I have any questions other then are we going to watch more? I learned unfortunately how some of them breed and how weird it is! Like a male just leaving sperm and a female with eggs just picking it up on her to fertilize her eggs. I don't really know much about amphibians, but I think they are awesome colorful creatures with very interesting traits. I would love to know like anything there is to learn just because they are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the film, I found it very interesting and I've never known a lot about amphibians other than a few basic details, so I learned a lot and got a better look at them. I thought the communication between some of the species and the ways they raised, protected, and fed their young was interesting. I don't have any questions yet and I would like to learn more about their anatomy and other basic or interesting information, because most of what I know about them I learned from watching this video.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed the the film, I thought it was very interesting and full of information that was new to me. I learned a lot about different species and how they take care of their young, I like how the tree frog puts each tadpole into a different leaf puddle, and the female is needed to feed it. I was especially interested in the orange/yellow frogs, I don't remember what they are called...but I thought it was so cool how they do that little wave to communicate! soo cute!
    About amphibians... the more I think about it, the less I know. I know they breathe through their moist skin, and most require access to water. When I was a kid I used to LOVE to catch frogs and salamanders. I still do with my younger siblings occasionally. (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought that the film we watched was really exciting because I didn't know about the different type of amphibians and how they mated. I fell bad for the golden frogs who are now close to extinction. I love how they wave there arms towards the female as a sign of communication. I thought it was really weird how the legless salamander gets its skin peeled off by its babies and then grows it back every couple of days to feed them more. Its amazing to think that skin is what helps them grow so fast.
    I know that amphibians lay eggs and that some of them can breath through their skin. Sometimes the females and males don't even need to make contact with each other to lay eggs and have babies. The female can just come and lay themselves over the deposit of sperm left by the male. Some have poison that protects them and some have camo that can hide them from predators. They have long tongues so then can capture prey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the films quite a lot. It showed a lot on how the amphibians live and mated. It gave us examples of the adaptations that they have to attract mates. The film showed us how the amphibians would care for their young. I remember the large salamander from Japan and the frogs that waved their hands to attract and communicate with a potential female mate.
    I do know a small amount about Amphibians. I know they live both in water and land and need to keep their skin wet to survive. They lay sacs of eggs together in the water or very close by to it. Some species of amphibians also go through a metamorphosis process going from a tadpole to a frog or other species. Many amphibians also have special adaptations like poisons and bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The film we watched in class showed me interesting information about amphibians. It was a nice transition from fish, since amphibians evolved from lobe-finned fish. I found it interesting how diverse this group of vertebrates is. Take the Japanese Giant Salamander, which can grow up to two meters. Then there are the more normal salamanders, which barely fit in your hand. I found it interesting seeing how different species of Caudata (salamanders) keep their moist skin with different environments. The video taught me a lot about the reproduction, mating, and behavior of different amphibians. They’re very different in some ways, yet very similar in others. As of now, and especially before the video we watched in class, I had very little knowledge of amphibians. I knew they were cold blooded, and that frogs, salamanders and snakes are all part of the group, but that’s roughly it. I’m excited to learn about the different habits of these species compared to other groups I have studied and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i liked the part where the big bull frog i think it was had a bunch of eggs next to the pond and then came back and used his back feet to dig them a way out into the big pond i didnt know they did that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The movie was really cool. i liked how it showed from larva to full grown adult. i dont get how the snake looking one is not a snake its like the same thing. i cant belive all the golden frogs are gone in captivity. and i didnt know they layed there eggs in the water. i thought the tadople had legs and could walk. so i guess i dont know that much. the salamanders tho are really cool though. some come out as little adults and some come like frogs. the snake one is really scary tho

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked the movie, it was really interesting. I didnt understand how that thing looked exactly like a snake but it wasnt a snake... But I think that we need to find a way to save all frog species because they contribute to so many things, we need to get rid of this fungus and send all the frogs home, they can't live in captivity all their lives. I wish i could help save them because dying is not the way to go until you are old! I wish we didnt have this fungus, srry froggies

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought the movie was good it made me think about how there are other things suffering then just people and that we need to worry about frogs and creatures too. I learned that the pesticides used for crops travel to the lakes and water area's that frogs live in I had no idea that happened and I also had no idea that it could cause deformity to the frogs. It was sad to see frogs with extra limbs and also frogs with missing limbs I thought it was really selfish that people use pesticides when they know it goes to the water near by contaminating it especially when they could easily find a alternative for there crops that is less harmful, also if it can cause so much damage to frogs think of how we eat some fruits that get sprayed with pesticides that's horrible! I don't know much of anything about amphibians I know they lay eggs and live in wet invironments but that's about it. I'd like to learn as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought there was some interesting things in the movie. I never knew that a frog could make himself bigger to scare off enemies i thought that was pretty neat. What I know about amphibians is that they live in water part time and that when they are born they are first delivered out of the frog in there eggs and then become tadpoles. I would like to learn about how they survive the harsh winters.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked it i thought it was really good and had a lot of good information! I really liked the bull frog! I learned that there are frogs that look like snakes? or it was a salamander i don't know but it looked like a snake. Why they just don't name it a snake? I don't know much about amphibians I know some live in wet areas water and eat bugs and some live in holes in the ground. I want to learn all the different types of amphibians

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought the movie was shot very well and really quite interesting i didn't think it would capture my attention as well as it did.
    I don't know much about amphibians but im willing to take it in an learn all i can.

    ReplyDelete