- What have you enjoyed/are you enjoying most about class?
- What are you enjoying the least?
- Are you happy with your progress/level of work so far?
- What could you be doing to improve? Set a goal for yourself for fourth quarter!
- What do you still hope to do or to learn about fourth quarter?
- Anything else??
Monday, March 28, 2011
Blog 8 - Reflection week
By the end of this week, you'll be halfway through this course, and we'll be one quarter away from summer vacation. This is a good time to reflect upon your progress thus far and the class as a whole. What I'd like to hear from you this week is as follows...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Overall, I am enjoying the class in its entirety. The way you have the year planned out really appeals to me; there are no surprises and the context is organized in a very helpful manner. However, the thing I enjoy most about the class is how you provide several perspectives on a topic. We usually watch a video, do a lab, complete a reading guide, research a certain species and read an article. Having several different points of view really helps with understanding and learning new material; it provides insight on the topic and forces one to look at something more than one way.
ReplyDeleteThere is not much that I am not enjoying about the class. The balance of how the material is presented proves to be reassuring. In any other class I would question the number of hours we spend in front of the projector, but for a class such as vertebrae and zoology I think clips and videos are a significant tool for learning. They provide excellent visuals for many species while providing so much important information.
I will have to say that I am very much satisfied with my personal progress thus far. Perhaps for improvement I could spend a little more time with the class and its assignments. When a nature-related blog is posted, I will attempt to make time to get out and soak up the natural world.
I look forward to studying about reptiles, birds and mammals during fourth quarter. The origins of the species are interesting and I can't wait to learn all about them.
So far, I’ve really enjoyed Vertebrate Zoology. Perhaps it’s because I love science, and studying animals, but I think the structure of the class has a lot to do with it, too. I like how I’m getting background information on all the main groups of vertebrates. I think that’s important to know, but unfortunately somewhat uncommon. So far, I’ve already learned a lot about the anatomy and behavior of fish and amphibians. The structure of this class appeals to me a lot. I like how you meet the needs of different learning styles, and reinforce information. The notes provide the literary approach, and the videos provide the visual, and the labs a hands on. I think all approaches are important in understanding zoology.
ReplyDeleteThere really isn’t much I don’t enjoy about the class. I honestly wish it was longer though, I would like to get into further depth! However, if I had to pick, my least favorite thing would be drawing what’s under the microscope. I know it’s very important, but honestly drawing isn’t my strength, and it’s not my favorite thing.
I’m doing well in this class, but there’s always room for improvement. I’m going to try to really connect what I’m learning in class to the real world. I want to be able to go outside, hear a frog or bird call, and actually identify it. I think it’s very important to know the local species of Maine, and I hope I’ll be able to do that better by the end of the course.
I’m excited to learn more about the reptiles, that’s something I don’t have much exposure. I’m also excited to learn about the mammals of Maine. I think at the end of the unit it will be interesting to relate the anatomy of all the groups of vertebrates. This class is a lot of fun, and I’m going to be sad when it’s over!
What have you enjoyed/are you enjoying most about class?
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy learning about all the different unique reptiles. I like the videos we watch they are always interesting. I actually must say my favorite thing we have done in the class is watch the video about the slimy eels! It was so gross yet funny and fascinating all in one. I kind of like the blog response too. It’s a good way to give homework while making it a little less painful.
What are you enjoying the least?
Tests! But who does like taking those? I understand that you have to have them though.
Are you happy with your progress/level of work so far?
Believe it or not I’m proud. I’m doing so much better compared to how I did in Bio two years ago. Granted we don’t get as much work but still I do a lot better doing the little work you do give us! I’m proud that I do it.
What could you be doing to improve? Set a goal for yourself for fourth quarter!
I suppose not missing so many blogs. I think I have missed three in all. Which really isn’t a lot but when they count for 20% it really does make a difference.
What do you still hope to do or to learn about fourth quarter?
Mammals! I love reptiles and all but I’m really excited to learn about the bones in a mountain lion and stuff like that!
Anything else??
Thank you for making this class enjoyable!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed this class to date. The course format of moving from fish to amphibians to reptiles to birds to mammals is really well organized and beneficial. Yet as we move through each animal families we are always able to, and take the time to relate them back the the common vertebrate. In the course so far I have really enjoyed our fish unit. I think that the marine world is one that is often neglected and so little is really known and what goes on under the waters. After my experiences at Island School I was able to really learn a lot more through experience of the marine world. Having the ability to relate what I saw a learned about to more specific details about the fish and its internal workings has really been exciting.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I have really enjoyed to content and ways in which we are learning I hope that this next quarter and spring is on its way, that we send more time outdoors and more time doing labs and projects. Every movie we have watched has been interesting and appropriate, but I really wish that we watched less movies. Especially being a first period class, I think that I would really get a lot more out of class if we were active.
I am very pleased with my level of work so far in the class. Yet there is of course always places to improve your performance. My goal for the remainder of the course is to be able to really take what I learn in class and connect it to whats going on in the world and the organisms in our community. I know that if I am able to make connections to everything that I am learning, I will be able to better remember it in the future.
I am looking forward to spring of this class when we will have more opportunities to leave to classroom and really see the animals that we are studying. I am also really looking forward to Chewonki come it and expand upon what you will teach us about reptiles. Reptiles are not animals I have really gotten a chance to experience or to study and I am looking forward to comparing and contrasting them from amphibians and fish.
- What I have enjoyed most would be learning about the different animal's internal organs and adaptations.
ReplyDelete- The thing that I am enjoying least would be how nasty some of the animals are (like lampreys, disfigured frogs, cane frogs, and caecilians).
- Yes I am happy with my progress of work so far in this class.
- Something that I hope to accomplish more is to not blog the day before it is due (starting with this one).
- I still am hoping that we learn about birds (my favorite vertebrates). Also I am hoping that we can get the Chewonki person or Linda Doughty over
Overall I have really enjoyed this class. I have enjoyed the structure and flow of the class.
ReplyDeleteThe thing I enjoyed the least is the lack of hands on labs we have done.
Aside from a few rough patches (still have to get my contract signed, i'm just really lazy) I am very happy with my overall progress and grade.
Get my contract signed, other than, that keep doing what I'm doing.
I am really excited to get to the mammals in the fourth quarter, that and the possibility of outdoor labs.
I enjoy like the dissecting things on line.
ReplyDeleteI don't like the dissecting things online when u have to listen to them i like the first one we did because i could just look up the answer instead of following them talking.
I'm not happy with my work because of the days I was out i missed a lot.
I can come to class everyday and get all my work in on time.
I hope to have those people come in and tell us about the reptiles.
I've like the movies especially the shark one and im excited to see more videos.
ReplyDeleteI wish we would do more labs i like hands on work.
Yeah im happy with my progress i just gotta pass in my work on time.
1. I enjoy that you have everything ready for us before we walk in. You always know what were going to do in class that day or during the whole week. I also enjoyed learning about all the animals and information that I haven't learned before.
ReplyDelete2. I don't really enjoy drawing during the labs. Drawing isn't one of my favorite things.
3. I kinda was before, but now since we took that test and I didn't do my best. I think i'm doing better in this class then my last biology class. This class is more interesting.
4. Make sure I do everything on time, study more for when there is a test/quiz.
5. I'm excited to learn about mammals, and to go outside and do activities out there.
What I have enjoyed most about class so far is learning about amphibians. There is nothing i have not really not enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteSo far im feeling better about my progress but i plan on next quarter to start doing all my blogs on time and my work.
I hope to learn alot about snakes next quarter because snakes are my favorite and there very intresting to me.
I like learning frog calls i think its interesting. I dont really like that we havent done more hands on labs. i feel like i could to better by doing the blogs and turning in my work. I hope next quarter ypu bring in live reptiles and we get to play with them like snakes or lizards.
ReplyDeleteSomething I have enjoyed about class is watching the movies. I love seeing the movies about the wildlife. It is very interesting. The thing that I enjoy the least is the study guides. I never study for tests and I don't thin we should get graded on them because I don't need to study to do good. I think I could work a little harder and do my homework on time. I am definitely going to work on it. I am going to aim for at least a B next quarter. I hope I get to learn about marine animals more. I am looking to go into marine biologist and I love the water. Hopefully I follow through with my goal...
ReplyDeleteI have really liked everything we have done so far. I can't really pick out any single thing that I liked the most. At the very beginning of the class, I liked looking at the skeletons and homologous structures. I liked learning about all of the different kinds of fish that live in Maine. It was kind of fun listening to all of the frog calls, too.
ReplyDeleteParts of the fish unit were a little boring, but so far, I have liked everything we've done.
I feel like we could have been doing more labs in class. It seems like all we do is watch movies. I like watching movies, but it just makes it seem like we haven't done much.
I'm not setting a goal for myself because I don't want to and because I am awesome.
I am really excited for the next three sections we do. I am looking forward most to reptiles, but I also think that birds and mammals are also really interesting. I can't wait for Chewonki to come in with their reptiles.
What I enjoy about the class is learning how each group of animals is so different. I did not realize that amphibians and fish are closely related and that fish only have two chambers in their hearts, and amphibians have three.
ReplyDeleteWhat I enjoy the least is the fact that this class is first thing in the morning and it is always dark. So I always am very tired and feel like I am going to fall asleep.
I am happy with my level of work so far. Except for my test. I could have done better on that.
Right now I am doing good in this class. But, one thing for me is to study more. I never study enough.
Amphibians and reptiles always used to be hard for me to tell apart, so I would really like to learn what the really big differences are. I am also excited to go outside when it stops snowing.
What I've enjoyed most about class is when we do labs when I can actually see what I am learning. I also like the videos we watch, I find them very interesting and informative. I think the level of work is great, It's enough to learn, but not enough to burden. I am veryyy excited for chewonki to come in during the fourth quarter! I love actually seeing the animals. Like the goldfish lab. My goal is to be able to correctly identify frogs that I catch this summer, or a bird or salamander I see. I just generally be more knowledgeable about different animals.
ReplyDeleteSo far I've really liked this class, and I think I've learned a lot. I like learning about animals, and I think the videos we watch are interesting. I don't like doing any work that involves using the textbook, because trying to find answers in it loses my interest. I feel alright about my progress so far, although I think I could have done a bit better. Next quarter I want to study harder so I'll be better prepared for the tests, and I'm looking forward to learning about reptiles.
ReplyDeleteI am really enjoying this course thoroughly. I really liked the amphibian films we have been watching. I've learned a lot about them.
ReplyDeleteI don't really dislike anything. I'm used to all the class work and such because of Biology last year, so I'm quite content.
I am happy with my progress and work, other than the two blogs I missed (Too much procrastination!)
My goal for this coming semester is to make sure all of my work is turned in on time. (blogs for the most part)
I am really looking forward to the reptile unit. I've always found them fascinating!
I enjoy the topic we are talking about the most.
ReplyDeleteI dislike the blogs the most.
I am happy with the progress level.
I would get rid of the blogs to improve.
I enjoy that we have one big test on each subject we talk about because it keeps me more focused. There is nothing I don't like about this class it's awesome. I am happy with my progress/level of work so far because I am keeping my grade up and I actually understand everything we talk about and I like it. If I could remember to do the blog thing every week that would be great, the last two weeks I have forgot about it... I hope to do a lot about mammals and maybe go on a field trip to the zoo or something (:
ReplyDeleteThis class has been very enjoyable this year. I really like the style of learning that is projected. I think the progress we have made has been a good deal. There is really nothing that I haven't enjoyed so far although I would like to do some outside work which I know we are planning on and I am definitely looking forward to it. I am very pleased with my level of work that I have done this semester, but it wouldn't hurt to get some higher scores on quizzes and tests. To improve for the fourth quarter I plan on definitely studying more when time comes around for tests. Also not procrastinating with homework as much. Other than that I think that this quarter has been great and I am looking forward to the next!
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying this class so far because I am such an animal lover so it's neat to learn the anatomy and behaviors of all of these different types of animals. I enjoy all of the labs and movies you show but I wish we had more interaction with some of these creatures, (I can't wait for Chewonki to come in for this reason) I think my progress is good, I tend to forget some blog posts once in a while which will be one of my goals for the fourth quarter, I want to make sure I do every blog post. I am really looking forward to reptiles and mammals because with all of these different animals you don't necessarily get up close and study them like we will do in this class.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy learning about different kinds of animals the most, and learning how similar they really are to humans. I would like to be able to see these animals, and am glad that we are going to be able to soon! The work isn't too hard or too much, it's just a matter of remembering to get it done... A goal I'm going to set for my self is NOT to forget to do the blog!!! I want to learn about mammals, and bring in my bunny! Everyone can pet him, because although he does have a mouth, he won't bite (:
ReplyDeleteI liked learning about the and the sharks
ReplyDeleteI didn't really like the fish and the frogs because there were so many types of them to remember but i did like the snakes.
Im not happy with my progress level right now i am failing this class but Im going to start trying harder so i can pass this trimester. My goal for this trimester is to get to school on time so I don't miss half of this class haha. Im not really sure what I want to learn about this trimester yet.
I liked learning about the and the sharks
ReplyDeleteI didn't really like the fish and the frogs because there were so many types of them to remember but i did like the snakes.
Im not happy with my progress level right now i am failing this class but Im going to start trying harder so i can pass this trimester. My goal for this trimester is to get to school on time so I don't miss half of this class haha. Im not really sure what I want to learn about this trimester yet.