Monday, March 14, 2011
Blog 6 - Spring is almost here!
Considering the time change this weekend, the melting snow, and the fact that "real" spring starts in a week, I think we should focus our attention on the arrival of spring! We have several nice days this week- a forecast of sunny and near 50 for Thursday- so I'm going to ask you to get outside and look for AT LEAST FIVE signs of spring.
Please include a little story or description to go with each, rather than just a short list. Help put us all in the spring mood. For example, I took the picture above in Durham, NC over February break. Granted, I was in North Carolina, but the sight of cherry blossoms makes me think spring. I think back to when we lived in the DC-area, and the arrival of the cherry blossoms, and the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC every spring, was always a reminder of warmer days.
Share your tales and observations of spring this week- have them posted by Sunday, March 20th (which, conveniently, is the first day of spring!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The snow melting and the temp being high and the flowers coming up all reminds me of spring.
ReplyDelete1) Temperature - The most obvious sign of spring has got to be the rising temperature, the warm air (it's sad when high 40's/50's is consider "warm").
ReplyDelete2) Birds singing - This morning when I stepped outside I was treated to a symphony of birds singing, it really improved my mood too.
3) Grass growing - I saw green, living grass on the ground where the snow had melted.
4) Rainfall - The rain even reminds me of spring showers, the rising temperature and melting snow.
5) Spring Sports - Spring sports such as tennis, lacrosse, baseball, and track are now starting up and the idea of playing on the tennis courts really make me look forward to the next couple of weeks.
I CAN SEE GRASS- The grass has popped out of the melting snow. the snow all going away.
ReplyDeleteSPRING FEVER- Last weekend i got woken up to a text that said "lets go discing." so That day me and two of my friends trudged through waste high snow. lost a couple of discs but had a great time with the good weather.
RAIN- Its getting to warm to snow, but it did today. Spring is know for rain and look its already starting.
SPORTS- They have started to make meetings for spring sports starting. Softball, Baseball, lacrosse, cant wait to watch the game.
More- More people are walking and running around. More cars are here starting to be tourist time. More blue skys and good weather.
1) Rising temperatures: This week is supposed to get up to 50 degrees! The snow on the ground is melting and the precipitation is back to rain.
ReplyDelete2) Grass: The grass is becoming visible on the ground after the long winter months. Soon it will be flourishing on lawns and fields everywhere.
3) Birds: The birds are back! In the mornings you are able to hear their them chirping.
4) Water: The lakes, rivers and ponds are becoming liquids again. The hibernating animals will soon be appearing.
5) The daffodil stems are popping out of the ground. Soon there will be other flower stems blooming.
1. I can see the grass. - All the snow is melting and I can finally see the grass. This is due to rain being warmer then the snow and so when the rain get to the snow it will raise the temperature of the snow causing it to turn into water. Also the melting snow is due to water dissolving the snow (the same way it would salt or the lemonade powder.)
ReplyDelete2. Sunnier. - Due to the time change it is sunny out at six o'clock.
3. Smaller bumps in the road. - The bumps in road appear do to water in the ground freezing and expanding. So when the temperature increases it causes the frozen water to melt and the bumps to go down. Unfortunately this leaves the roads with cracks and pot holes.
4. Spring Sports. - Tennis is now starting up.
5. Buds on the trees. Believe it or not I have seen a few buds on trees.
From Hannah L...
ReplyDeleteBIRDS FLY NORTH MIGRATING HOME -
I have recently seen flocks of geese and other birds flying north for the beginning of the spring. The migrating birds always fly in a V shaped formation. They flew south in the fall to survive to cold winters of the north, but they always come home to breed in the springs and summers in Maine. I love seeing the flocks of birds flying overhead, it is always a clear sign that spring is coming soon.
LEAVES BEGIN TO GROW ON THE TREES-
As I walk home from school every afternoon I can see the buds of new leaves and flowers preparing for a bright green and growing spring. One of my favorite parts of spring is the gorgeous vibrant greens and the bright rainbow colors of flowers everywhere.
FROG CALLS-
Since we have begun learning about different frog calls that mark the beginning of spring, I have been hearing the male mating calls in our neighborhoods. Spring Peepers have begun singing their jiggling bells and clicking calls that I often assumed to be crickets. Even the name of the Spring Peepers indicate that spring is soon to come.
CRITTERS CLIMBING THE TREES-
Chipmunks, Squirrels and other small animals have begun to climb from the trees and peek their heads from their winter hiding spots. Once the acorns grow and their food is uncovered from the snow, than we know that spring will really be here.
MELTING SNOW-
The temperatures are raising and the April showers are on their way. Both of these together are melting our snow. We can even see the occasional green grass patches.
1) Grass! Finally I see the green and most of the snow is gone, it's an amazing sight. Soon we will start to see flowers blooming but also the bugs will also arrive.
ReplyDelete2) Animals. The other morning I heard birds singing which I haven't heard in a while. Soon there will be more bugs out.
3) Water. The other day I was driving to Brunswick and I noticed that the ice that was covering some of the ponds/lakes/rivers were depleting, it was a nice sight.
4) High temperatures. This week it was so nice out! I could actually go out for a walk without having to put a coat on! The sun was amazing out.
5) Fishing. Soon people will be able to go fishing in some nice warm weather.
1.) The snow is retreating and the dead grass is starting to look a little bit green.
ReplyDelete2.) There are robins sitting out in my yard looking for things to eat.
3.) There are more people out enjoying the nice weather with friends or their dogs.
4.) A dove keeps flying in and out of the pine tree in my backyard. There was a nest there last year, so it's probably going to make a home there.
5.) The are little green buds on the trees around my house.
1.) Horses shedding their winter coats, always a sign that good weather is coming. Unfortunately bad for the owners though with all the work it takes to get rid of the hair on the massive animals. :P
ReplyDelete2.) On days with good weather horses don't have to have blankets on and it gives hope!
3.) Horses getting spring fever, they get really hyper and freak out a lot.
4.) Raining instead of snowing, and when it did snow it turned into rain or it just melted right after.
5.) You can see grass, and the snow is not accumulating it just keeps melting, from the warmish weather we have been having a the beautiful sun!
1. You can hear and feel the snow melting off of the roof every time you walk into the house.
ReplyDelete2. You can smell the skunks because they have come out and started to get in everyone's trash again.
3. You wake up, the sun is shining bright and you can hear birds.
4. Everywhere you go you are in a mud hole and you get extremely dirty.
5. You don't need to go out and start your car 10 minutes before you leave because it's warm and the windows are all frosty! :)
1) I've seen a little bit living grass in my backyard.
ReplyDelete2) The temperature has been getting much warmer.
3) A lot of the snow on the ground has melted.
4) I've seen a ton of people out walking, running, jogging, and riding bikes the last few days.
5) I've noticed some buds on the trees in my backyard.
1. I must agree with McKayla's comment about the horses. We own 3 of them and one of them has had her dark brown hair turn into a light brown furry mess. It gets all over your clothes
ReplyDelete2. After that amazing day we had Friday, I have noticed the bulbs that my mom planted last year have begun poking up through the ground, and grass is beginning to green up.
3. Birds have returned from their winter homes. Soon many more species will be flying around the field by my house.
4. Recently while sitting around, a fly was buzzing around the light in the living room. The warm weather has brought out the on of the most annoying invertebrates in the world.
5. The weather has changed a lot as well. The temperature has increased from the cold we've grown to know. More rain has been falling and soon all of the snow will be gone
1. Today I got mud on my brand new sneakers because the snow is melting and its muddy
ReplyDelete2. Its warmer, I went jogging for the first time and was able to wear shorts OUTSIDE
3. My dog now goes into the yard ( you can see grass) to pee since he can walk.... the snow was so high that he couldn't walk in it. So he insisted on peeing on the porch
4. Spring sports are starting... FINALLY
5. Critters are roaming around, and Birds. Actually on my way to visit a college this weekend we saw a dead moose on the side of the road :( poor moosey
1. I was walking outside and heard a lot of birds chirping all around my house.
ReplyDelete2. All the snow is disappearing you can actually see all the grass.
3. I live in Phippsburg near Popham beach, and my drive way is so muddy.
4. The ice in the water in front of my house is melting.
5. we left the door open Sunday, and let the house air out. But it was warm enough to do it.
This past week I have seen several signs of Spring with the environment. The most clear reason, is the disappearance of snow. Only a few weeks ago, the snowbanks were taller than me. Now all the sidewalks are clear, and even the tallest of snowbanks are under two feet. There are puddles everywhere because of the melting. Based on the water and mud, it’s clear that Spring is in the air.
ReplyDeleteOn the side of my house, my mom’s flowers are starting to poke up. Even though it’s only March, the flowers are still growing. I’m horrible with flower names, but the bulbs of tulips and daffodils are definitely growing. It makes me very happy to walk outside and see the bright colors of the flowers.
I love waking up in the morning and hearing birds chirping. This week, I have definitely heard my share of chirping birds. Even though it’s somewhat cold still in the morning, the birds are still coming out. I remember one morning looking a robin straight in the eye. This definitely excited me, and I look forward to seeing more birds.
Another sign of spring is more health related. I’ve noticed that I’ve been sneezing a lot lately, more than usual. This is because I have Spring allergies, especially to pollen. This can be rather annoying, but I put up with it in hopes that summer is approaching.
Friday afternoon, when it was 65° and sunny, I went to the Popham beach. Aside from some snow leftover on the road, it was pretty cleared out. The sun was shining brightly, the waves were crashing, and the sand was somewhat warm. Although the wind was fierce, the weather was fairly tolerable. I found a sand dollar, which I know isn’t technically a sign of Spring, but it reminded me of Summer.
The birds are finally coming back, In the mornings you are able to hear them.
ReplyDeleteThe temperature is starting to be warm. It was great to have warm weather last week. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Since the snow is finally melting, my whole drive way is all mud and has puddles of water. I like it, but I hate getting the mud on my shoes.
The grass is coming out. My dogs finally get to run around the house and chase each other, with out falling into the snow.
Spring sports are starting! Softball is in a few weeks, and I can't wait!
Albin said...
ReplyDelete1) the snow is finally melting in my back yard and I am no longer wearing a winter jacket 2) Squirrels and chipmunks are back out in the woods out of hibernation and driving my dog crazy. 3) I have been to the beach 3 times in the past week and have been in the water twice only once with a wetsuit! 4) Some trees in my back yard have begun to bud leaves. 5) School seems like its going even slower now than usual now that we're near the end.
1. On friday it was 68 degrees and I went to the beach for like 3 hours in shorts and a t-shirt.
ReplyDelete2. All the snow at my house has melted. It usually does not melt until mid april.
3. More birds have started to come out. During the winter we feed some birds at my house, but now we have many more birds.
4. I live right next to the ocean, so I have seen more people starting to lobster and go on their boats.
5. Yesterday I went skiing and even at the mountains it was 45 degrees and the snow was soft. I was even walking on top of the snow that seemed solid and i fell in a 7 foot hole... Im pretty sure spring is here.
What indicated me of spring this year was the birds chirping when I was sitting in the classroom. There were about three different bird calls. I heard a wood pecker, I don't know what the other two were. Also what had reminded me was that baseball season is almost here. I can't wait for the snow to clear out. Another thing that has reminded me of spring is that all the snow is clearing out. We are not going to have to worry about driving in the snow anymore!!!! Another thing is that it is getting warmer outside, the other day I went outside without a coat and jeans on for the first time, I was in shorts and a t-shirt. It felt AWESOME!!! The last thing that has reminded me of spring is that it is almost open-water fishing season. My favorite time of the year is the first day of open-water fishing season. It is still a bit chilly mostly, but it is soooo much fun. Finally getting to cast out some bait instead of having it sink through a hole, also it is more of a fight :)
ReplyDeleteWater: the ice over lakes and ponds is starting to melt.
ReplyDeleteGrass: the grass is completely noticeable
Good weather: The sun is starting to come out its warm and I actually enjoy going for walks again.
rain: when it rains its not so cold as if it were winter still
Clear roads: not so much snow and slush everywhere.
Animals: I played paint ball with my friend the other day and noticed a squirrel in the woods also animal droppings probably from a dear so animals are started to come out.
Of course these signs are based on last weeks weather because it snowed a lot last night haha
The signs of spring coming that i saw was that all the snow had pretty much melted and it had become sunny and nice out. Also when i was working it had gone from dead to very very busy. When I was outside and inside my house i saw flies flying around and birds chirping which meant a good sign that winter is over.
ReplyDeleteFive signs of spring that I have seen are:
ReplyDeletewell obviously the snow melting and the days feeling a little bit warmer, but also the birds. I have noticed a lot of birds around my house in the past week or so. There is a tree outside my window that has big red berries in the winter that I've seen the winter birds eating, but now they have fallen to the ground and the tree has buds! I have seen tons of robins, a sure sign of spring, feasting on the berries below. I have also seen the geese migrating. so yes lots of signs of spring about! (I was absent during this week, hope it doesnt count as late? )
5 signs of spring! (Late)
ReplyDeleteYou start to hear life all around you! Birds start to sing and frogs start to croak it’s like the springtime initiation music!
Snow starts to melt! This is what gets me most excited, you start to see beautiful grass! Well, not so beautiful because it’s still dead, but believe me once it wakes up everyones mood brightens!
The sun is seems brighter. No more gray cloud forecasting snow or freezing rain just warm bright sun and the occasion cloud come to peak out and say “hello”!
Your pets start to get annoying! I have house cats but when spring starts to roll around they get SO annoying. We have to practically football block the door when someone wants to leave the house! You can’t blame them though.
Moods brighten! Suddenly things don’t seem so glum.
I’m normally an indoors person but even I couldn’t help but say yes when one of my friends asked to walk home with her. When the sun is out I feel lighter. I however HATE humidity! But the warm sun on my skin is one of the best feelings ever.
1) the temperature changing and not having to wear a winter jacket anymore.
ReplyDelete2)Lacrosse because it starts in the spring.
3)The smell of rain when you walk outside
4) Flowers blooming
5) No more snow
Warm weather, wind, raining.
ReplyDeletebuds appearing on trees and plants.
NO MORE SNOW!
Longer days, more sun, actually nice enough to do things outside.
Chirping birds, they are always playing around the bird feeder, and they are waking me up in the morning. And of course, the peepers at night.